Herstmonceux Castle is one of the oldest significant brick buildings in England. It was built by workers from Flanders using bricks made from locally sourced clay, starting in 1441 under Sir Roger Fiennes, and completed by his son, Lord Dacre, in 1449. The castle viewed from across the moat is a magnificent sight. However, in 1777 the interior was demolished and it stood as a ruin until the early 20th century. The restoration to turn it into a residence was completed in 1933 to a design by architect Walter Godfrey. The Castle is now used as a university and we will be allowed to visit by a guided tour - hence the Sunday visit.
In 1957 Herstmonceux became the home of the Royal Greenwich Observatory. This has since been relocated to Cambridge and the original Observatory buildings have been converted into an interactive Science Centre for school children in particular.
We may visit Royal Tunbridge Wells if we have time as assessed by the recce.